Retail software is computer software typically installed on PC computers or delivered and used via the Internet (also known as cloud-based).
Traditionally this software was often delivered via physical data storage media - where it was sold to the end consumer but like everything else, very few companies still provide this software in a physical form. Everything goes digital.
In the digital age, retail stores must offer exceptional experiences of customers to stay competitive. It is essential to manage all store processes and effectively automate numerous manual operations. What you need is the retail software that provides store staff with powerful tools to perform transactions without problems and complete tasks in time.
The retail industry is experiencing considerable changes under the influence of the change in consumer behavior. In essence, people are becoming increasingly impatient:
- 87% of buyers leave the shop if a product they want is not available and if there is no nearby assistant.
- 30% of customers don't expect more than two minutes to determine if an object they want to buy is in stock.
- 78% of buyers would not use a retailer again after three late or incomplete deliveries.
Therefore, Brick and Mortar stores must be subjected to technological change to maintain competitors' rhythm and attract faithful customers. Otherwise they’ll be left behind in the dust.
Development of the retail software is the right decision for companies of any size. Said software can be integrated with any business; It is scalable and can satisfy the needs of a single store and a retail chain consisting of hundreds of stores (POS).
Why choose retail POS software?
- Automation- You can automate branch tasks such as inventory control, price adjustments, invoices, reports, payroll, return processing, etc.
- Real-time visibility- The system allows you to control warehouses and workshops in online mode to quickly check whether certain items are in stock. They also send instant notifications when problems occur, or if you’re low in stock, so you can avoid downtime.
- Improved customer service- Representatives can spend more time with customers while the system automatically performs other tasks.
Retail software can be on-premises or cloud-based.
On-premises solutions are installed on the retailer’s computer or local server. In this case, you need IT experts to maintain the system, handle updates, and fix problems.
It is precisely because of this problem that many opt for cloud based retail POS software. If you use cloud-based retail software or software as a service, you do not need to install it on your hardware. All you need is an internet connection. The SaaS solution is automatically managed by the supplier.
How do you choose the right billing software for any retail shop?
The selection of an appropriate software provider is a critical and demanding activity. Take the time to carefully make your choice. Your choice determines how soft the implementation will be and how positively a future system will influence your business performance.
The main recommendation is to opt for suppliers that specifically serve the retail market, since:
- You will be needing a minimum software customization;
- You’ll get a Ready To use database, while the databases for other sectors differ significantly and must be restructured or developed from scratch;
- Your seller will talk about the same language as you, removing any room for misunderstandings;
- You can get valid references from Peer companies and learn from your experience.
Also make a list of all the features you want in the retail software. Consider whether you need an omnichannel solution, what functions it should implement, and what third-party systems you want to integrate. With this in mind, you can choose an out-of-the-box solution, or you can choose to develop it separately and customize it based on your needs.
The successfully implemented system requires further support and maintenance. This can be provided by the software provider or your technical expert. A retail software can take your business a long way and give you a competitor’s edge, because without it, you’re not even in the league.